Sunday, May 13, 2012

back to mid-april

Now that the big announcement is out of the way, I can finally get back to the weekly wrap-ups for Project 366, before I fall even further behind. I'm up to week 16, and that week started with another Sunday lunch picture. Basil was in better supply at the local markets, so it was time to try making the trofie with pesto that had been on my to-do list since we got a bag of said pasta at Christmas. The general idea came from the traditional dish we had in Cinque Terre last fall, although that had green beans and potatoes in with the pasta and pesto. Steve wanted to include those, but I hadn't yet found a recipe that looked promising for that dish as a whole. Meanwhile, I had found a recipe for pesto that I wanted to try. It was on the rustic side, since it was meant to be chopped by hand rather than using a food processor, but it turned out well. We decided that we would use less garlic and a bit of lemon juice the next time around, though.

106/366 trofie with pesto


Monday was actually the day of our first ultrasound—not that I mentioned that when I posted the picture of the day to Flickr. Steve left work a little early to "run errands" and met me there. We got to see an image of the baby and hear the heartbeat for the first time. The ultrasound person also pointed out various parts: arms, legs, heart, bladder, and the top of the head with the brain visible. It was pretty cool. Of course, I didn't take any pictures there; we just came away with a CD of low-resolution images that we couldn't show the general public just yet. So to celebrate and provide me with some actual picture opportunities, we went out to dinner at Beretta that evening. Steve got a cocktail, and I got some (less exciting) lemonade. We ordered fewer dishes than usual—just a pizza and a risotto—but it was very good, as always. We had no problem finishing everything.

107/366 back to beretta


I walked down Valencia Street the next day, in search of a birthday card to send to a nephew. Passing one of the various gift stores, I spotted a sheep jacket like the one Elsa has, so I stopped for a picture.

108/366 sheep's clothing


Wednesday seemed like a good time to walk to Noe Valley, as I made the rounds of my usual photo spots and errands. It gets difficult to find new things to shoot in familiar places, but there were some pretty branches of dogwood outside one of the flower shops this time.

109/366 dogwood branch


Thursday's weather was warmer, so I went out for ice cream. Bi-Rite Creamery is my current favorite, and since they had just released their cookbook, I figured maybe there would be an interesting display with it there. Plus, it was a good excuse to get some roasted banana ice cream along with their ricanelas (snickerdoodle) flavor. Bi-Rite ice creams seem to be a little easier to pair up than some of the more creative flavors at Humphry Slocombe.

110/366 bi-rite book


Friday afternoon featured a haircut, which took me downtown. I wasn't very inspired to take pictures that day, so I went for the easy photo bait in the window of The Children's Place. Mostly, I just liked the strawberry sunglasses.

111/366 strawberry wear


Since I had no other ideas for Saturday outings/pictures, I proposed that Steve and I go to the Ferry Building before lunch that day. I had learned that there was a special goat event going on at the farmers market, and there would be baby goats from Redwood Hill Farm. We didn't wait in line to pet them; I just tried to get pictures from in front of the little kiosk. It was a bit challenging, since there was almost always someone in the way, standing between me and a clear shot of the goats. At least in the picture below, it was a little boy's head that was in the way.

112/366 crazy kids


Well, that concludes another week. I had better start writing up the next before I lose momentum...

1 comment:

  1. I have no doubt you can always find something interesting to photograph no matter how many times you go to the same places. Love your pics! BSD

    ReplyDelete