Monday, August 13, 2012

seattle continued

The second half of the Seattle trip actually started with Steve's last day there. He flew home Sunday so that he could work the next day, and I stayed until Wednesday for extra time to hang out with Chrissy and Elliott. Steve's flight was around noon on Sunday, so we were able to go out for brunch at Lola before dropping him off at the airport. I had the little doughnuts like two years ago, and Steve got Tom's Big Breakfast again: octopus, a poached egg, and various seasonal vegetables.

After brunch, we stopped at a bakery in Columbia City to pick up some pretzel rolls for future breakfasts, then dropped off Steve at the airport, and headed to Capitol Hill to walk around a bit. What we hadn't considered was that it was before noon on a Sunday, so not everything in Capitol Hill was open just yet. We were able to kill some time at Melrose Market, though. It's a collection of food vendors/restaurants and little stores that was still in the process of coming together two years ago. It's quite nice now! When it was finally noon, we stopped by the Cake Spy Shop, which was where I got my fake mushroom terrarium on the last visit. They still had really cute stuff, but I didn't get anything on this occasion.

Then it was about time for lunch at Oddfellows Cafe. Steve and I ate there for lunch on our first visit, and I had had a nice caprese sandwich. The sandwich choices turned out to be a bit more limited at Sunday brunch, but my bacon lettuce avocado tomato (B.L.A.T.) was really good. We got ice cream at Molly Moon's nearby afterward and then headed back home for a while.

Dinner was some salmon and corn on the cob, both cooked on the grill. Chrissy and I had picked up the ingredients at the grocery store while Kevin and Elliott were napping in the afternoon.

197/366 lola doughnuts again

On Monday, Chrissy and I went shopping (with Elliott) at University Village, where there was a Land of Nod store and a Pottery Barn Kids. I wanted to see if they had some of the items I was looking at online for the nursery, since there happen to be no Land of Nod locations in the Bay Area. (It's Crate & Barrel's kids branch.) I didn't end up finding the rug or the rocking chair I had wanted to see, but I did get to look at some of the curtains and the table lamp that I had in mind.
We had a quick lunch at an Italian deli/takeout before deciding to head home. But on the way back to the car, we passed a Trophy Cupcake shop and had to get some cupcakes to take back with us. Kevin was working from home that day, so we got one for him too.

In the afternoon, Chrissy and I took Elliott to Green Lake for a walk. There's a 2.8-mile path around the lake, and we did a full circuit. We also stopped to sit for a while in a shady spot about halfway around, since Elliott needed a break from the carrier and the stroller. Surprisingly, I didn't take any pictures of Green Lake while we were there, pretty as it was. Instead, I took pictures of Elliott while we were stopped.

198/366 afternoon with elliott

Tuesday morning began with a walk to storytime at the Ballard Library with Elliott. When that was over, we went back to downtown Ballard. I wanted to get some of the cute cards that I had seen at a shop there on Friday, and there was still a bit more of the area that we hadn't explored. I knew there was supposed to be a toy store called Clover in the general vicinity, and we ended up finding it. Since I didn't take many pictures the rest of the day, it was a good thing I shot some of the windows at Clover.

The rest of the afternoon was spent eating lunch at a taco truck on the way home, driving to Target for a few things, and watching the Downton Abbey season finale in Chrissy's basement. And for dinner, we went to Skillet Diner in Capitol Hill. There was a bit of a wait, but we got in eventually and had tasty food that I didn't photograph at all.   

199/366 toy boats

Wednesday was the day of my flight home, so I had to say goodbye to Chrissy and Elliott. I took a few pictures of them in the nursery that morning, before we left for the airport. On the way to the airport, we planned to stop at the Top Pot Doughnuts in nearby Renton. It took us a while to find the place, because we had somehow missed the fact that it wasn't a typical store location but a mobile Airstream unit parked in front of a hardware store. Not exactly what we were expecting, but they had delicious doughnuts anyway. It probably would have been more convenient to go to the new location in Ballard; however, they didn't finally open until the end of the next week. (So much for that planned June opening date...)

200/366 a farewell to seattle

Back home again on Thursday, I busied myself with editing Seattle pictures. I also edited my baby clothing inventory, adding the hand-me-downs from Elliott that I had brought home with me. Below is a picture of the bag that's holding newborn and 0-3 month stuff, along with some fleece swaddles. I'm sure the tiny newborn shoes from Elliott are completely impractical, but they're also completely adorable. Maybe we'll get a picture with our baby wearing them, assuming he doesn't grow out of them before we get the chance.

201/366 hand-me-downs

And from Elliott pictures back to Elsa pictures. Friday was pizza night, of course, and I went down a bit earlier than normal to hang out with Carmen and Elsa. Carmen was getting some stuff done in the nursery, and Elsa was using her crib as a playpen, having woken up from her nap not long before.

202/366 back to this kid

Finally, Saturday was my usual self-portrait day, so I took my 26-week shot after lunch. It was nice to get back to the setup I'm used to, after trying to kind of replicate it at Chrissy's house the week before and not completely succeeding. Once that was done, I knew I needed to go looking for a picture of the day. (Can't use the weekly self-portrait for every Saturday, unfortunately.) It was a warm day in SF, prompting me to suggest a trip to Humphry Slocombe for some ice cream. That got us outside for a nice walk, and we got some cold treats. I opted for the Eton Mess—strawberry with marshmallow fluff—and the rather less exciting, but very tasty Tahitian Vanilla. It was good that they went well together, because they were definitely melting into each other by the end.

203/366 a humphry slocombe kind of day

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had fun quality time with Chrissy and Elliott. And good eats too! Love the pics of the babies and HS ice cream too. Those donuts remind me of ones that my Mom made when I was a kid. Mom called them dough-gods or dough-devils, depending on her mood I guess. :) They were just little gobs of bread dough deep fried, then shook in a sugar bag. Yum! BSD