Monday, April 4, 2011

lucky thirteen

Week thirteen was certainly different, weather-wise, from week twelve. The dreariness was past, and we got some warm, summer weather—without the chilly fog that we get during the actual summer.

That Saturday was sunny and nice, but after so many rainy days, the freedom of having a beautiful day with nothing planned proved to be too much pressure. I was paralyzed by indecision, and we ended up just hanging around the house (and feeling slightly guilty). I still needed a picture of the day, so I went downstairs with Steve when he went to help Dan with some cabinets. At least I wasn't wandering around my own house looking for pictures this time.

I hadn't taken any good Enzo pictures in a while, so he was a good subject. I led him into the living room, told him to sit and stay, and he did! Carmen had him do a couple other tricks after that, but the first shot was still my favorite.

85/365 puppy-dog eyes


Sunday was easier, since it was a food (and work) day. We had decided on the Basque Clam Chowder from Gerald Hirigoyen's Pintxos. Steve did a nice job of plating it, as well as helping construct the perfect bite that I wanted on the soup spoon. I had my hands full of camera, and they weren't as steady as I'd have liked, since I had had coffee that morning. The soup had some nice flavors; however, a bit of rogue clam shell chipped one of my bottom teeth. I didn't notice until I was in the car, on my way to work, but it had made a little gash in one edge of a premolar. It's nothing serious, but a trip to the dentist will be happening tomorrow to fix the jagged edge.

86/365 basqua clam chowder


On Monday, I took a little walk to Anthony's Cookies. Anthony's has been on my "easy 365 ideas" list for a while, since it's so close. I didn't take any pictures there while I was purchasing my cookies, so I did a little milk & cookies photo shoot when I got home. (Our milk was expiring that day anyway.) I took pictures of the cookies & cream ones with a shot glass of milk, and then I took some with the classic chocolate chip cookies instead. The cookies & cream picture was better, but I ate one of the classic chocolate chip ones at the end of my shoot. I even drank the milk, instead of pouring it down the drain.

Surprisingly, this was the first time I had ever tried drinking milk with my cookies. Sad, but true. My refusal as a child to drink milk (unless it contained chocolate or strawberry) severely limited my cookie + milk experiences. No dunking for me. Anyway, I actually kind of liked it. I still have no desire to drink milk on its own, but it was pretty good in between bites of chocolate chip cookie.

87/365 milk & cookies


Tuesday was the day that we made our return to Contigo for dinner. We first ate there just over two years ago, one week after they opened. In the spring of 2009, we went to Contigo about every three weeks—March, April, and May. We've slowed down since then, but there's still something special about the first dinner on the back patio at Contigo every spring, once daylight savings time starts. A glass of cava, good food, and enough light to photograph it. It's hard to go wrong... especially if some of that good food is Sardine Toast with Avocado and Pickled Red Onion. Steve insisted that we order it this time, even though we order it every time.

88/365 annual spring contigo-ing


It had been a little chilly on Tuesday evening, but Wednesday warmed up considerably. Perfectly sunny, short-sleeve weather called for some sort of outing. It was even nicer than Saturday had been, so I really did need to decide on something to do and do it. Anything less than awesome would be a disappointment and a waste of a nice day. I settled on a walk up to Bernal Hill—a nice spring/summer activity. Good thing it's shady for most of those stairways, because it was actually pretty warm out there in the sun. But on top of the hill, there was a nice cool breeze. There was also a guy with an easel, painting, and I snuck some pictures of him.

89/365 the painter


Thursday was even warmer. I took a few pictures of some Padron peppers that Steve had gotten from Elan and Brett at Contigo, but they weren't terribly exciting. Then, Carmen called and asked if I wanted to go to Mitchell's for some ice cream. It was almost 5pm, but I didn't mind spoiling my dinner with some mint-chocolate chip ice cream. Once the guys got home, we all went to eat at SouthEnd (formerly Toad's). On the way, we saw a neighborhood kitty. She's one I've seen once or twice at the end of the block, but I had never taken pictures of her. Dan, Carmen, and Steve graciously waited while I took a few; and thus, the second cat picture of this 365 was taken. (Kitty count from 2009's project: 11, including Olive pictures.)

90/365 pretty kitty


And last, another calendar picture for Friday, April 1. I didn't really have any better ideas, so I taped it to the tied-up curtains, next to the open living room windows. It was warm again. Obviously.

91/365 april


And I am now one quarter of the way through Project 365. That also means we're a quarter of the way through the year already. How did that happen?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment