Friday, March 9, 2012

two weeks ago

Moving on from Valentine's Day, we have yet more food... and some other stuff too. The Sunday of week 8 was another lunch photo day, and Steve made a dish from Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi, which was one of his birthday presents from me. We decided to try the Saffron Tagliatelle with Spiced Butter: homemade pasta with various Moroccan spice flavors, including cinnamon, topped with toasted pine nuts, mint, and cilantro. I expected it to be a little sweeter than it was, but the pine nuts kind of sweetened it up slightly. Overall, the flavor combination was a good one.

50/366 saffron tagliatelle


Monday was Presidents' Day, which meant a day off work for Steve. Knowing I needed something to photograph, we decided to go out to lunch and try Bocadillos. It's a place in the Jackson Square area that we tried to visit for Steve's birthday in 2006 before realizing that it was closed on Sundays. In fact, it's not open for lunch on weekends at all—it's not far from the Financial District—so Monday was a good day to try it. I thought it was pretty good, but I suspect that the evening tapas menu would have been more exciting than the lunch menu. We had mostly little sandwiches (bocadillos) to choose from, so we each had two of those and shared the whole grain salad of the day. One of the sandwiches that we each ordered was the lamb burger, which is featured in the Pintxos cookbook that we have, by the same chef/author. In fact, Steve made those same lamb burgers exactly one year before. I hate to say it, but I might have preferred Steve's lamb burgers to these...

51/366 bocadillos


Next was Fat Tuesday. And since I tend to fall into patterns every year, I did the same thing I did last year for Fat Tuesday: go to Dynamo for a donut. I went a little earlier in the day this time, so I didn't have to resort to buying the very last donut they had. Unfortunately, it wasn't one of the days that they were making the Lemon Thyme ones I've been craving for so long. I had to settle for a Chocolate Rose donut instead.

52/366 fat tuesday


I had fewer ideas for Wednesday, but I kept finding myself drawn to the last of the Valentine's ranunculus flowers in the Heath vase on my dining room table. I liked the colors, especially against the newly hung picture frames in there. Never mind that I had used the flowers in my Sunday lunch picture too...  

53/366 more flowers


On Thursday, Carmen and I had plans to go out for ice cream, while the weather was nice. Those quickly turned into lunch plans as well, since we were going relatively early. I proposed that we go to Mission Cheese and then Bi-Rite Creamery, and that is what we did. My picture of the day was of my "Chedd Or Alive" grilled cheese sandwich with apple chutney. Delicious. 

54/366 chedd or alive


I had ordered a new ring from Elephantine that arrived on Thursday, and the box is what I photographed for Friday's picture. Actually, I was trying to get the ring in the shot too, but I ended it up liking the picture better with it cropped out. (Hands look pretty weird sometimes.) Despite taking more pictures during a walk around Noe Valley later that afternoon, I went with the picture of the little box in the end.

55/366 elephantine


Once again, I was at a loss for picture ideas on Saturday, giving Steve and me an extra reason to go to Noe Valley to run our errands. We passed this scooter parked by a house on the way, and that was about the height of my picture-taking excitement for the day.

56/366 the metropolitan scooter

No comments:

Post a Comment