Sunday, January 13, 2013

a few more firsts

Almost two weeks into the new year, and I'm finally caught up with posting pictures to Flickr for the first time since Evan was born. This blog is a different story, though... It's still stuck in mid-November, so I should probably chip off another week.

The picture from Sunday, November 11, is of Evan drinking his first bottle of milk. Technically, it wasn't really his first bottle ever. They made me give him about an ounce of formula in the hospital when they were trying to make sure his blood sugar was normalized that first night, after the gestational diabetes. Luckily, he still nursed like a champ, so we didn't really have to worry about the bottle interfering with him learning to latch. Nevertheless, we waited until he was three weeks old before we gave him a bottle again. Now we just do it about once or twice a week so that we always have a usable bottle in the fridge, in case I need to leave Evan with Steve for a few hours.

316/366 first bottle


On Monday afternoon, Bonnie and I took Evan out for a walk to Craftsman and Wolves. I hadn't been there in a while, and I felt like I should get out of the house and take some pictures that didn't feature baby stuff. I got a cute little cube cake, which Steve and I shared after dinner that night, and Bonnie got a couple caramels to share with Bruce when we got home. It was crowded enough in there that we didn't stay, so I took a picture of the jars of pate de fruit on the counter, rather than sitting down and shooting my cube cake for my picture of the day.

317/366 craftsman and wolves


Tuesday's photo was a return to the baby, since he was dressed in one of my favorite outfits: the newborn one with the whales on it. It was one of the first outfits that he outgrew, so I had to take advantage while I could. He was chilling on his blanket on the floor in the nursery, staring at the windows as he liked to do. I learned at his last pediatrician visit that this pose with the arms is actually a reflex to prevent accidental rolling. That explains why he did it so often.

318/366 whaling


We got lots of exercise the next day, with a walk down to the paint store and a walk up to Noe Valley later. We needed more bathroom ceiling paint to cover the spot that Bruce had patched around our heating register, and then we "needed" some frozen yogurt from the place in Noe Valley. Bruce and Bonnie had discovered Easy Breezy while they were house sitting for a friend of Carmen's nearby, and they turned into quite the regulars for a while. This was my first visit, though.

319/366 fro-yo fiends


Feeling less inspired on Thursday, I took a picture of the books on Evan's shelves. Since then, he's gotten several more, including the rest of the Mo Willems Pigeon books.

320/366 evan's books


On Friday, I made my first trip out of the house without Evan. I got a haircut downtown, and Evan got to stay home with his grandparents for his afternoon nap. He slept most of the time I was gone, so they didn't even need to use the bottle that I had left in the fridge. Before heading back, I walked around downtown a little and took some pictures. It was a slightly rainy, but it was a nice outing. Maiden Lane was especially charming with the Christmas lights up already.

321/366 maiden lane


And then there was Evan's first real bath. We actually did it the day before he turned one month old, which was probably kind of late. Between wanting to make sure that Steve and the grandparents were all there to watch and wanting to make sure there would be enough light in the kitchen for pictures of the event, it got put off for a week or two. (We gave him an extra sponge bath in between.)

I took the picture below right after we put Evan in the tub's sling. Then I handed the camera to Steve so that I could do the bathing. Evan was not a big fan of the bath at first, possibly because I started by washing his face. He screamed while I washed the rest of his front, and then he suddenly peed on me and the floor. After that, we decided that another more strategically placed washcloth was a good idea... Once I sat him up to do his back and his hair, he calmed down considerably and looked around.

322/366 first bath


That wraps up week 46, as well as Evan's first month. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment